On behalf of the Chief Allied Health Professions Officer for England, the North West AHP Network are producing and hosting regular summary resources for the allied health professions (AHP) workforce. These curate key published national guidance and updates in relation to COVID-19.
Rejoining England's healthcare workforce in winter 2021
In light of winter pressures and COVID-19 cases continuing to increase, there may be a requirement for more people to step forward and support workforce capacity during this time and in the coming months.
Individuals who have previously been on our Register and are interested in returning to practice, whether full time or through flexible schemes, can rejoin the workforce in England by contacting their Integrated Care System nominated link below.
When contacting the Integrated Care System nominated link, please provide the specific location or trust you would like to work in. They will be able to put your details forward to any local trusts that are seeking additional workforce.
|Cheshire & Merseyside Health & Care Partnership
|Greater Manchester Health & Social Care Partnership
|Lancashire & South Cumbria Health & Care Partnership
To find out more about the Health & Care Professions Council's (HCPC) COVID-19 temporary register see COVID-19 Temporary Register | (hcpc-uk.org).
- COVID-19: vaccination programme guidance for healthcare practitioners
- Training slide set (PHE)
- E-learning programme
- COVID-19: vaccinator training recommendations
- COVID-19: vaccinator competency assessment tool
- Green book chapter
- All the documents and links above are available on the government's COVID-19 vaccination programme page
- COVID-19 and rehabilitation – resources for Allied Health Professionals
- Allied health professionals’ role in rehabilitation during and after COVID-19 (new)
- Recovery and Rehabilitation for Patients following the Pandemic - ICUsteps statement
- Quick guide for occupational therapists: Rehabilitation for people recovering from COVID-19
See Literature Reviews section below for more resources.
- COVID-19: Caring for those who care - information and resources for Allied Health Professionals - December 2020
- COVID-19: Caring for those who care - information and resources for AHPs in Mental Health Awareness Week - update 4 - discusses the importance of being kind to yourself and allowing yourself to take time out. It also links to the latest resources available to support your health and wellbeing.
- COVID-19: Caring for those who care - information and resources for Allied Health Professionals - update 3
- COVID-19: Caring for those who care - information and resources for Allied Health Professionals - update 2
- COVID-19: Caring for those who care - information and resources for Allied Health Professionals - update 1
A literature scoping search completed by HEE here in the North West aims to support the question 'What (AHP) workforce do we need to effectively treat and support people with, and after, COVID-19?'.
This question was split into two searches (both attached):
- a) Literature discussing the workforce implications.
- b) Incidence and prevalence of key symptoms (physical, cognitive and psychological) and clinical presentation and health outcomes of COVID-19
Several literature searches have been completed on rehabilitation from a number of organisations:
- Physiotherapy management for COVID-19 in the acute hospital setting
- Rehabilitation of recovering COVID-19 patients Get Search
- COVID-19 and dysphagia the role of speech and language therapists
- Prehabilitation and COVID-19
- The long term health impacts of COVID-19
- Psychological rehabilitation
- COVID and Physiotherapy
A number of literature searches have been produced by NHS Scotland, including:
- Advice for clinicians on the coronavirus
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) information for AHPs from HEE
- For health advice, go to the NHS website
- For the latest advice about the government response to the outbreak, go to the gov.uk website.